How to Eliminate Odours from Your Sports Gear
Exercising undoubtedly has a positive effect on your body and spirit. After an intense workout, you feel refreshed and full of energy, not to mention that you gather envious looks because of your incredible body shape. It goes without saying that sweating at the gym is not for everybody, some people just hate working out.
However, is you are among those who have turned exercising into a habit or you intend to change your lifestyle and get a gym membership, you will definitely encounter the smelly sports gear problem. In point of fact, it is not necessary to go to the gym. Regardless of the sport, you have chosen, the smelly, sweaty clothes will pose a trouble. Here are a few tips and tricks that will help you remedy the situation:
- When you get back home, the first thing you have to do is to take your sweaty clothes off the backpack and hang them. You are not advised to toss them in the hamper. Forgetting them into the gym bag will not only make it smelly, but you also provide the perfect environment for mould and mildew to emerge.
- When your dirty gym clothes are completely dry, it is time to submerge them into a solution of vinegar and water. Yes, that is a multi-purpose mixture – you can clean your carpet, clean the bathroom tiles and eliminate bad odour from your gym clothes as well. For best results, you are advised to add a cup of vinegar, baking soda or lemon juice to the washing cycle. There is one important thing to remember, though. The usage of any of these three ingredients is not recommended if the laundry detergent you use contains bleach. In order to eliminate the bad smell, set the washing machine at the highest possible temperature. That is particularly applicable to cotton sports gear as this kind of fabrics is heat resistant.
- If possible, use the power of the sun to make your sports gear dry. The sun is known as the natural bacteria killer. Of course, there is no point in making an attempt to dry your gym clothes naturally during the cold winter months. During the winter, you can use your hair dryer to accelerate the drying process.
- Have you ever heard the story that jeans should not be washed and the best way to kill bacteria is by freezing the pair? That might sound ridiculous indeed. Even if you have not tried to freeze your jeans, you should definitely try to freeze your gym clothes in order to eliminate unpleasant smells. If this method is too weird for your liking, just stick to the vinegar and baking soda method. If you prepare a larger quantity, you can even postpone calling the professionals in upholstery cleaning and treat that stubborn stain on your own. Yet, don`t forget to book a service when the season changes for the essential deep sanitising of your sofa and armchair.
- Here are a few more things to consider when you have to deal with the smelly gym clothes. The first thing to remember is that you should avoid adding a fabric softener to the washing cycle. It will only make matters worse as the bad smell will be locked in the fabrics.
- The next thing worthy of mentioning is that you should not use excessive quantities of the laundry detergent. Contrary to a popular myth, adding more than the recommended dosage does not help you make your clothes cleaner. Actually, it is just a waste of money. As for the particular case with the gym clothes, the detergent acts pretty much like the fabric softener. It builds up on the fabrics and leads to bacteria and a more persistent smell. The best thing you can do is to search for a laundry detergent made especially for lycra and spandex. These two are the most common fabrics sports gear is made of.
- You might consider those silica gel pieces annoying and even useless, but they can actually do a good job when it comes to removing the excess moisture from your gloves. As mentioned above, moisture environment is the best habitat for mould, mildew and bacteria growth.
- Under no circumstances, you should use harsh chemicals such as bleach on foam or padding. The material will weaken and its life expectancy will be significantly shortened.
- Unfortunately, foam paddings cannot go through a thorough cleaning procedure that would completely eliminate the bacteria and at one point your padding pieces will need a replacement. Regular cleaning will postpone that replacement, but you have to be aware that it is just inevitable.
These were the tricks you have to be familiar of if you are about to start leading a healthier, more active way of life. Keeping your sports gear clean and fresh-smelling will make you feel even more energised, so don’t forget to try the aforementioned cleaning tips.