Alternative Uses for Fruit and Vegetables Leftovers
If you have ever paid attention to the ingredients of the cleaning products, available at the supermarkets, you must be aware that the top-shelf ones usually contain natural ingredients and therefore, they are more expensive.
However, it is not necessary to spend money on detergents that, along with natural ingredients, contain toxic ones as well. You might be surprised to know that the fruit and vegetable leftovers can be your irreplaceable assistants for various chores around the household. So, don’t throw the peels in the trash before you try out the following tricks:
- Even if you are not passionate about trying homemade domestic cleaning recipes, you must have heard of the fantastic grease lifting properties of the lemon juice. Squeeze a lemon or two, add some baking soda to make a paste and there you have it, the perfect oven cleaning agent. As for the lemon peels, you can use them for restoring the shine of the faucets in the bathroom. Plus, they can be used for neutralising bad smells coming from the trashcan in the kitchen. If you want to remove the mineral deposits from your kettle, put a few slices of a lemon inside, add water and bring it to boil. Then, let it sit for an hour or two. The mineral deposits can be easily removed with a soft toothbrush. A single lemon can help you achieve immaculate results in your home – just as if your local house cleaners left your home minutes ago.
- Cucumbers are not only a tasty vegetable but also a wonderful “tool” for fighting pests and ants in particular. If your house has been affected by colonies of ants, place cucumber peels in the problematic areas.
- If you want to refresh your carpet here is an easy way to prepare a proven recipe. Depending on the size of your carpets, you can use twice as much than the quantities below. You need 1 cup of borax, 2 cups of baking soda and 3 tbsp citrus zest. Mix these three ingredients well and put them into a jar. Your homemade carpet cleaning solution is ready to use when all moisture has evaporated. Sprinkle onto the carpets let it sit for a couple of minutes and the unpleasant smells will be absorbed. Along with that, don`t forget to book professional carpet cleaning once or twice per year and you will enjoy your rugs for the years to come.
- What should you do when you are out of a shoe polish? You have no reason to worry provided that you have a banana peel at hand. Simply rub the shoes with the peel and their shine will be restored. Of course, that’s a temporary solution that would help you avoid an embarrassing situation. It goes without saying that you need to buy a shoe polish at your earliest convenience.
- Strange as it may seem, banana peels can help you make your houseplants dust-free. Rub each and every leaf with a banana peel and you will be surprised by the great difference before and after the treatment.
- The numerous hours you spend staring at the computer screen have a disastrous effect on your eyes. If you wake up with puffy eyes in the morning potato peels can come to your rescue. Put a peel on each eye and let them sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Potato peels contain an enzyme called catecholase, which will definitely remedy the situation. If you don’t have any potatoes left, the puffy eyes can be relieved if you put two silver teaspoons into the freezer for 5 minutes and then apply them onto your eyes.
- You have made an apple pie and now you have a handful of apple peels? Don’t throw them out as you can use them as a flavour for your tea. Just put an apple peel into the cup and enjoy the great aroma. If you have some free time and you are willing to experiment, check out how you can make your tasty apple jelly out of apple peels – there are many recipes on the web you can try.
- It would be unacceptable not to mention the orange peels and their vast application around the household. Sprinkle some baking soda on an orange peel and put it inside your shoes. The bad smell will be neutralised in less than an hour. The white part of an orange peel is a fantastic polishing product for your wooden pieces of furniture. You don’t need to buy expensive polishing products when you can just rub the wooden parts of the sofa with orange peels. In addition, they also eliminate water marks from wooden surfaces. If you put an orange peel inside the jar where you keep the brown sugar, it will prevent it from hardening.
So, are you still going to throw the fruit and vegetable leftovers? As you see, they can help you save money and keep your house clean and fresh-smelling. Don’t forget to try these tricks the next time you encounter one of the aforementioned issues. Even if you do not achieve the desired result, you can be sure you will not cause a damage.